Ask us - terms and conditions
State Library of Queensland staff will:
- assist you with identifying and searching relevant resources for your topic.
- if appropriate, refer you to other resources or organisations to find what you need.
If we can't answer your question on the spot, we can:
- research your topic for up to two hours free of charge (with a maximum of 6 enquiries per calendar year per client). We will endeavour to provide an answer within 10 working days. Fill out our online form
Enquiry service management policy
Our Enquiry Services are provided as additional support when self-help tools and resources do not guide you to the information you need. These services include initial assistance at point of need, and a research service for more complex enquiries. These services are available through a range of channels, which may include:
- Face to face
- Web forms and email
- Letters and faxes
- Chat and instant messaging services
The policy is intended to help you understand the level of support provided by State Library.
- To provide a range of enquiry services and channels to meet your needs
- Through our interactions, help to build your capacity to research independently
- To provide services to the public as cost-effectively as possible.
What we can do for you initially
If you visit the library and ask for assistance, we will advise you on a research strategy, support you in the effective use of 'finding' tools, and suggest appropriate resources. Depending on the level of client demand, we can generally spend up to 10 minutes assisting you.
Staff may not be able to assist you in the use of your personal equipment, or with external software programs such as Microsoft Office or email accounts. Staff cannot supervise examinations, proof read private documents, nor interpret or provide advice on legal or medical matters.
If you phone us, or use our online chat or messaging service we are generally able to spend up to 10 minutes assisting you. This may include advising you of the most appropriate information resources to guide you in your search. If your enquiry cannot be answered in a short time frame, you may be referred to our Extended Enquiries Service. You may also be referred to another information provider.
What we are not able to provide
- Lengthy or ongoing research e.g. extended family history or newspaper searches
- Answers to lists of questions for quizzes or competitions
- Detailed assistance with assignments
- Searches for missing persons
- Legal or medical advice
Extended enquiries are those which cannot be responded to within a short timeframe.
Who is eligible to use the Extended Enquiries Service?
This service is provided for:
- All Queensland residents
- Anyone wishing to access information relating to the jurisdiction of this Library
- Anyone wishing to access information which is unique to our collections
What we provide for Extended Enquiries
Depending on the nature of the enquiry we may provide:
- Information gathered by State Library staff
- Guidance on the most appropriate information resources to continue with your research
- Referral to another of the National and State Libraries Australasia member libraries, to your closest public, school or tertiary library, or to another information provider.
- Up to two hours of research on most enquiries
- Up to six enquiries for any individual during a single calendar year
- Up to 10 copied pages free of charge. You will be advised that the provision of additional materials from the State Library is possible through the Library’s Document Delivery service, and may incur a fee
We aim to provide the most current and accurate information. We do not assume responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided, or for any action which relies on this information.
For more detailed information, see our Enquiry services management policy.
Discover an eclectic range of books, gifts, reproduction prints and more at the Library Shop.