At State Library of Queensland, we digitise heritage collection materials for many reasons at SLQ, the most important of which is to make Queensland's heritage accessible. The value of the collections is in the use and reuse of the material. Providing a digital surrogate (copy) makes access possible and supports use, reuse, engagement, discoverability and the creation of knowledge.
The SLQ Digitisation Toolkit shares information about how to digitise Queensland's heritage collections for access, use and reuse from anywhere and at any time via the internet. We digitise using capture standards that have been developed at State Library and are supported by best practices from the world's leading cultural institutions for access and preservation. Watch the video on copyright and digitisation
The toolkit provides basic information about how to get started, how to plan, how to employ best practices, standards and equipment, and how to ensure long-term access so that all can enjoy Queensland's unique heritage for many years to come. Digitisation makes it possible to share all of Queensland's connected collections.
The Digitisation Toolkit information guides include the following:
- Information Guide 1: Queensland's connected collections and digitisation (Download the printable PDF version (PDF 350.2 KB))
- Information Guide 2: Getting started (Printable version (PDF 351.1 KB))
- Information Guide 3: Organising Queensland heritage collection (Printable version (PDF 281.5 KB))
- Information Guide 4: Writing a Digitisation Plan (Printable version (PDF 273.2 KB))
- Information Guide 5: File naming guide for digital files (Printable version (PDF 266.4 KB))
- Information Guide 6: Digitising in-house or using vendors (Printable version (PDF 298.9 KB))
- Information Guide 7: Selecting a digital camera (Printable version (PDF 292.8 KB))
- Information Guide 8: Digitising audio and audio-visual material (Printable version (PDF 150.0 KB))
- Information Guide 9: Scanning and capture guide for image-based material (Printable version (PDF 1.3 MB))
- Information Guide 10: Digitising community newspapers with SLQ and Trove (Printable version (PDF 279.9 KB))
- Information Guide 11: Making your collections accessible, engagement and networking (Printable version (PDF 154.0 KB))
Discover an eclectic range of books, gifts, reproduction prints and more at the Library Shop.