Books explaining Australian law, such as
- Queensland Law Handbook; your practical guide to the law (REF 349.943) Online: https://queenslandlawhandbook.org.au
- Researching and Writing in Law by Terry Hutchinson (340.072 2010)
- Laying down the law by Catriona Cook (340.094 2012)
Legislation for Queensland and the federal government
- Queensland Acts and Statutes (REF 346.9431)
- Record of the Legislative Acts, 1939-1990 (S346.943 004)
- Explanatory Notes to Queensland legislation, 1991+ (REF 346.9431)
- Queensland Bills 1969-2012 (S346.943 005)
- Queensland Regulations and Subordinate Legislation (REF 346.9431)
- Queensland Statutory Instruments Reprints (REF 346.9431)
- Commonwealth Acts, 1901+, Reprints and Statutory Rules (REF 346.9401)
- Federal Statutes Annotations (online through LexisNexis database)
Legal Databases to access a range of Australian cases and commentary
Some of our legal databases include:
- Informit - a collection of Australian databases including CINCH (Australian Institute of Criminology), AGIS (Attorney General’s Department), APFD (Australian Federal Police Digest) and SNIPER ( a bibliographic database of journal articles, conference papers, and other documents about issues in intellectual property)
- LexisNexis - Consult Australian legal resources including Carters Criminal Law of Queensland, Halsbury’s Laws of Australia, and Building Regulation Australia and Practical Guidance series.
The State Library holds the following Queensland and Commonwealth Government publications in print and on microfilm, covering years not yet available online
- Queensland Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) 1868 - 1998
- Queensland Government Gazettes 1859 - 2006
- Queensland Votes and Proceedings (1860 - 1901)
- Parliamentary Papers (1902 + )
- Legal Aid Queensland - factsheets and guides
- Austlii (Australasian Legal Information Institute) - a portal of legal databases from all Australian jurisdictions
- Federal Register of Legislation - a comprehensive collection of Commonwealth legislation
- QOPC (Queensland Office of Parliamentary Counsel) - Find current Queensland Acts and their superseded versions, Legislation Annotations, Regulations, Bills and Explanatory Notes
- OzCase - Queensland Historical Legislation 1828–1936 and other legal materials related to Queensland
- Text Queensland - digitised historical Queensland resources including Government Gazettes (1859-1900), Hansard, (1860-1863; 1981+) and Political Chronicles (1955+)
- Parliament of Australia website for the House of Representatives and Senate - site includes a Hansard search option and access to parliamentary chamber and business documents.
- Local Laws Database - a database of local laws enacted by councils across Queensland. Maintained by the Queensland Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning
What other resources are available?
Visit the State Library at the Cultural Precinct, Brisbane to access:
- The State Reference Library’s general collection of books, journals and magazines, newspapers, music scores, DVDs and sound recordings
- Family history resources on level 3
- Historical Queensland collections and maps in the John Oxley Library on level 4
Need more help?
Experienced librarians are available to help you with your enquiries. Ask at one of our Information desks, or phone the Enquiry Service on 07 3840 7810 (Mon-Fri, 9-5). You can also ask for research advice and assistance through the State Library’s online enquiry form.
Many of the State Library’s databases can be accessed from home of you are a member of the State Library. You can register for membership.
Members of the State Library can also read ebooks online and borrow books and other items from the general collection.