Guide to government gazettes
State Library of Queensland holds editions of the Queensland Government Gazette from December 1859 onwards.
- On microfiche: at FICHE/B 328.943 que (Level 3, Micrographics area)
- On microfilm: at MFL 328.943 (Level 3, Micrographics area)
- In electronic: at All Queensland publications collection 1859-1918 (Level 3, Micrographics area)
- In print: bound volumes are at S328.943 007 (request from Repository)
- Loose issues: (current issues only) at SER 328.943 (request from Repository)
What is in the gazettes?
Government gazettes provide proclamations by the State Governor, and official notice of actions taken by Government authorities, Government departments, local councils and companies.
The Queensland Government Gazette can help you find information about:
- Appointments to Government positions and resignations of senior officers
- Notices of medals and decorations, awards granted etc
- Brands (registration and transfer)
- Electoral divisions: establishment and changes to electoral district boundaries
- Declaration of Insolvencies
- Assessments and transfers of runs
- Agricultural reserves
- Land orders
- Land repossession
- Land reserves
- Land sales and leases
- Legislation notices: announcements of new Acts of Parliament, regulations and amendments
- Lighthouses (appointments of keepers, lighthouse closures)
- Patent registrations
- Police notices
- Registration lists of medical practitioners, builders, publicans, justices of the peace etc.
- Registration of companies and firms
- Tenders for public works, schools, roads, etc.
- Unclaimed letters
- Wills, intestacies and transmission of real estate by death
Finding the Queensland Government Gazette in SLQ's catalogue
Government records can be tricky to find because there are many variations of their titles. Here's a tip for finding Government gazettes in SLQ's catalogue One Search:
- In One Search, enter "Queensland Government Gazette" in the search box as a phrase. Remember to use "gazette", not "gazettes"
- Limit your search to title.
This will retrieve the main entry for the Queensland Government Gazette with the call numbers for the microfilm, microfiche and printed versions.
Queensland Government Gazette - Indexes
Various indexes covering different time periods exist for the Queensland Government Gazette.
Consolidated Indexes (1859-1919):
- Microfilm: at MFC 328.943 1999-
- Microfiche: at FICHE/B 328.943 CON
- CD ROM: (1859-1919) at QCFS 328.943 2004
- Hard copy printed index: (1850-1907) at REFJ328.943 que
Various specialised indexes also exist. These include indexes to Queensland timber licences, publicans' licences, proclamations of boundaries, among others.
Find the specialised indexes in the catalogue by typing "government gazette" index in the search box.
Government Gazettes on the web
Finding Commonwealth gazettes in SLQ's catalogue
In One search, if you type "commonwealth gazette" in the search box (no limits required) you will retrieve records for the original gazette and its separate versions (special, periodic, chemical etc.). You can be specific if required e.g. "commonwealth gazette special". Just remember to use gazette, not gazettes.
Commonwealth gazettes on the web
The Commonwealth Gazettes Online site provides access to Government notices gazettes as well as special and periodic gazettes which have been published since 1 July 2002.