Guide to legal resources at the State Library of Queensland
The State Library of Queensland offers a wide range of legal resources in print and electronic formats. Resources for Australian Commonwealth and Queensland law and some international resources are available from the State Reference Library. Historical Queensland law resources are available in the John Oxley Library collection.
What resources are available?
Books explaining Australian law, such as
- Butterworths Concise Australian Legal Dictionary (REF 349.9403/2004)
- Australian Law for the 21st Century Gerald Bede Carter (REF 340.0994/2004)
- Easy Guide to Australian Law Peter Fairfied (G349.94/2005)
- Researching and writing the law Terry Hutchinson (G340.072/2002)
- Queensland Law Handbook: your practical guide to the law (REF 349.943)
Legislation for Queensland and the federal government
- Queensland Acts (REF 346.9431)
- Explanatory Notes to Acts, from 1991 (REF 346.9431)
- Record of the Legislative Acts, from 1939 (S346.943 004)
- Queensland Bills (S346.943 005)
- Queensland Regulations and Subordinate Legislation (REF 346.9431)
- Queensland Statutes Annotations and Statutory Instruments (REF 346.943)
- Commonwealth Acts, Reprints and Statutory Rules (REF 346.9401)
- Federal Statutes Annotations online through the LexisNexis database
Legal Databases to access a range of Australian cases and commentary
Some of our legal databases include:
- LexisNexis — search for cases heard in all Australian courts, consult Australian law reports, legal encyclopedias and major legal reference works
- Informit — a collection of databases including CINCH (Australian Institute of Criminology), AGIS (Attorney General’s Department) and APFD (Australian Federal Police Digest).
You can access these and other legal databases through the State Library’s website
Major legal publications
Our collection includes many standard legal reference works, including:
- Carters Criminal Law of Queensland — latest edition is available electronically through the LexisNexis database
- Halsbury’s Laws of Australia — latest commentary available through LexisNexis
- Building Regulation Australia including the Building Code of Australia, available online through LexisNexis
These are held for the Queensland State Government and the Australian Commonwealth Government.
- Hansard (Parliamentary Debates)
- Parliamentary Papers
- Government Gazettes
For individual locations of these publications, check the One Search catalogue
- Austlii (Australasian Legal Information Institute)
- Queensland legislation (Office of Parliamentary Counsel)
- Parliament of Australia
- OzCase (Queensland Historical Legislation 1828–1936)
What services are available?
Experienced librarians are available to help you with your enquiries. Ask at one of the State Library Information Desks, phone 07 3840 7810, or fill out our online enquiry form or contact us on the State Library’s instant message service, Ask SLQ.
How do I access these services and facilities?
Visit the State Library at South Bank, Brisbane to access:
- The State Reference Library’s general collection, journals and serials on level 2
- Family history resources, video recordings, DVDs, and newspapers on level 3
- The John Oxley Library on level 4
Access the State Library’s website to:
- Access the online catalogue and databases.
- Browse the digital Queensland Memory Collections.
- Fill in an online enquiry form.
Books, journals and databases are available for use in the State Library. Some books may be borrowed through your local library if you live outside Brisbane.