Online resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander family history research
State Library of Queensland
- General family history research guides
- Margaret Lawrie collection
- Norman Tindale collection
- Guide books on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander family history
- Finding records related to Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islanders
Queensland State Archives
- Resources relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Records guide : a guide to Queensland government records relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples / Queensland State Archives and Queensland Department of Family Services (FAMHIS 016.3058 1994)
- Brief guides for frequently used records in family history research
- Indigenous indexes
- Visiting the Public Search Room
Community and Personal Histories, Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Multicultural Affairs
Community and Personal histories branch of Queensland Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Multicultural Affairs provides a free service to assist Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islanders access records relating to their family and community history.
State Library of New South Wales
The State Library of New South Wales' Australian Indigenous index, previously known as INFOKOORI, is an on-line searchable index to the Koori Mail (1991 onwards) and also indexes biographical information on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples from various magazines.
State Library of Victoria
The State Library of Victoria has a wide ranging collection of material relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Victoria and throughout the country. They include books, manuscripts and photos. For more information look at Koori Victoria.
State Library of Western Australia
The State Library of Western Australia's Indigenous Family History webpages provide access to a number of online guides and resources specific to Western Australia as well as across the country.
National Library of Australia
National Library of Australia holds a wide range of indigenous material including Mura Gadi, an online guide to their collection of manuscripts, pictures and oral histories relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. You can also search for resources relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through Trove.
Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS)
AIATSIS has a number of useful resources and guides to assist Indigenous people with their family history research. This includes the following digitised items:
James Cook University
- North Queensland station records held in the James Cook University Library Archives
- Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander family history - A James Cook University library guide
Australian Cemeteries - Information about many Queensland cemeteries and headstone inscriptions
Australian Cemeteries index - A searchable index that provides access to headstone inscriptions and images from more than 650 cemeteries around Australia.
Discover an eclectic range of books, gifts, reproduction prints and more at the Library Shop.