Researching Indigenous Soldiers from Queensland Communities - Finding defence records
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander family history research
Indigenous people have made significant contributions since the Boer War through service in the defence forces. Defence records are not organised on the basis of race, making it difficult to identify how many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders have gone to war. Some researchers have estimated that around 400 served during the First World War.
Indigenous Queenslanders also contributed towards the 'war effort' within civilian organisations like the Women's Land Army and the Civil Construction Corps. Their personal defence records may provide useful family history information. Defence records generally become available for public research thirty years after their creation.
The two major institutions responsible for Australian defence records are the National Archives of Australia and the Australian War Memorial.
Resources about Indigenous Queenslanders in the Defence Forces
Find State Library of Queensland collections:
Find books and other material in the State Library collections.
- Aboriginal Australian soldiers
- World War 1914-1918, Aboriginal Australian participation
- World War 1939-1945, Aboriginal Australian participation
- World War 1939-1945, Torres Strait Islander participation
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Participation in World War 1
- Researching Indigenous Soldiers from Queensland Communities
Other related websites:
- Military records, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS)
- Australian War Memorial - Indigenous defence service and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the Australian Defence Force
- 'All in' - Indigenous service - Part of the Dept of Veterans' Affairs website: Australia's war 1939-1945
- Indigenous Australians at War
- Message Stick, Program Transcript, Norforce screened Friday 22 October 2004
- ABC Radio National : We will remember them (24 April 2010 - download audio or view transcript) - interview with Garth O'Connell, Philippa Scarlet and David Huggonson about Aboriginal men who fought in the First World War
- Aboriginals who served in WW1 - alphabetical listing by first name.
- Indigenous South Australians at War - From "South Australians at War", State Library of South Australia
Discover an eclectic range of books, gifts, reproduction prints and more at the Library Shop.