Suggested Resources for Art of the Skins
Download the Resource List (PDF 506.2 KB)
SLQ Collection Books
- Albert, Trish & National Museum of Australia 2009, Kaurareg mob, Pearson Rigby, Port Melbourne, Victoria.
Request then collect from level 4 (JUV 305.899 ALB).
- Best, Ysola; Kruger, Candace; O'Connor, Pat 2005, Yugambeh talga: music traditions of the Yugambeh people, Keeaira Press, Southport, Queensland.
Open Access, level 3 (781.629915 2005)
- Connors, Libby 2015, Warrior: a legendary leader’s dramatic life and violent death on the colonial frontier, Allen & Unwin, Crows Nest, NSW.
Open access, level 4 (J 994.30049915 CON)
- Curr, Edward M. 1886, The Australian race: its origins, languages, customs, place of landing in Australia, and the routes by which it spread itself over that continent, Govt. Printer, Melbourne.
Request then collect from level 4 (RBJ 572.994 CUR)
- Gaiarbau & Winterbotham, L. P. (Lindsey Page) & Langevad, Gerry & Queensland Department of Aboriginal and Islanders Advancement, Archaeology Branch, 1982, Some original views around Kilcoy, Archaeology Branch, Brisbane, Queensland.
Open access, level 4 (Q 994.30049915 SOM)
- Lena, Kathleen Mary 2012, My life: an aboriginal elder remembers 80 years, Keeaira Press, Southport, Queensland.
Request then collect from level 4 (P 305.89915 LEN)
- Mathew, John & Keane, (Austin), (1927-1979) 2010, Two representative tribes of Queensland: with an inquiry concerning the origin of the Australian race, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
Request then collect from level 4 (J 306.0899915 MAT)
- Monchamp, Anne Marie 2014, Autobiographical memory in an Aboriginal Australian community: culture, place and narrative, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire Palgrave Macmillan.
Open Access, level 2 (305.89915 2014)
- Petrie, Tom & Petrie (1831-1910), Constance Campbell, (1873-1926) 1904, Tom Petrie's reminiscences of early Queensland (dating from 1837), 1st ed, Watson, Ferguson, Brisbane.
Online access. Check Locations/Request for physical copies
- Reynolds, Amanda Jane; Couzens, Debra; Couzens, Vicki Louise; Darroch, Lee, Hamm, Treahna, et al, 2005, Wrapped in a possum skin cloak: the Tooloyn Koortakay collection in the National Museum of Australia, National Museum of Australia, Canberra.
Open Access, level 3 (745.537 2005)
- Steele, J. G. & Tylee Memorial Collection 1984, Aboriginal pathways in southeast Queensland and the Richmond River, University of Queensland Press, St. Lucia, Queensland.
Open access, level 4 (Q 994.3102 STE)
- Watson, J., & Martin-Chew, Louise 2009, Judy Watson: Blood language, Melbourne University Publishing, Carlton, Vic.
Request then collect from level 4 (RBHMON WAT).
- Voigt, Anna & Drury, Nevill, 1947- 1997, Wisdom from the earth: the living legacy of the Aboriginal dreamtime, Simon & Schuster, East Roseville, New South Wales.
Open Access, level 2, G 305.89915 1997
External Collection Books
- Abraham, Debbie; Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery 2012, A possum skin cloak by the lake: an Aboriginal cultural revival project, [Revised edition], Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Lake Macquarie, New South Wales.
- Adams, Jeanie & Yalga-Binbi Institute for Community Development & Cairns Regional Gallery & Visions of Australia (Program), 1995, Made with meaning: crafts of Aboriginal far North Queensland, the Yalga-Binbi collection, Yalga-Binbi Institute for Community Development, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders Corporation and Cairns Regional Gallery, Cairns, Queensland.
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Council Conference & Taylor, Luke & Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies & AIATSIS Indigenous Studies Conference (2001 : Canberra, A.C.T.) 2005, The power of knowledge, the resonance of tradition, Aboriginal Studies Press for the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra.
- Balfour, Alan & [The elders of the community] 1991, Boigu: our history and culture, Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra.
- Banmirra Arts, 2012, Cloak Workshop 2012: Possum Skin Cloak Workshop delivered by Banmirra Arts, Banmirra Arts, Raymond Island, Victoria.
- Berndt, Ronald Murray & Berndt, Catherine H. (Catherine Helen), 1918-1994 & Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies 1988, The world of the first Australians : Aboriginal traditional life, past and present, Repr. with additions, Aboriginal Studies Press for the Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies, Canberra.
- Couzens, Vicki Louise & Edmonds, Fran 2009, The reclamation of south-east Australian Aboriginal arts practices, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne.
* Smithson, Michael Anthony, 1990, A misunderstood gift: the annual issue of blankets to Aborigines in New South Wales 1826-1962, Armidale, New South Wales.
- Smithson, Michael Anthony, 1990, A misunderstood gift: the annual issue of blankets to Aborigines in New South Wales 1826-1962, Armidale, New South Wales.
- Watson, J., & Wadlington, Helen. 1991, Down on the ground / Judy Watson. Australia, Judy Watson.
Request then collect from level 4 (ALAAB WAT).
Audio Visual SLQ Collection
- Buluru Yealamucka- - healing spirit community stories about Yarrabah finding its way. Hunter 1952; Centre for Rural and Remote Area Health; Health Interactive Technology Network, Cairns, Queensland : HITnet | 2008
Request then arrange viewing at level 4 desk (HDVD 305.9089 BUL).
- Songlines into Brisbane by Alex Bond; a film by Sean Gilligan.
Alex. Bond; Sean Gilligan; Interactive Community Planning Australia. Brisbane, Queensland. : Alex Bond | 2012
Request then arrange viewing at level 4 desk (HDVD 994.31 BON)
- Talk my talk: indigenous language survival and revival
Published in ATSIC News, June 2004: 32-37
Available online through the State Library’s database Australian Public Affairs -
Full Text available http://search.informit.com.au/fullText;dn=200407496;res=IELAPA
- The Possum Skin Cloak - Being Warmed by Culture / Bamblett, Muriel.
Published in Children Australia, Sep 2014, Vol.39 (3), pp.134-136
Full text of this article is available through the ProQuest Central database on the State Library’s website http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/search/eresources/search-databases
- Davis, Richard, 2004, Woven Histories, Dancing Lives: Torres Strait Islander Identity, Culture and History, Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra.
Full text available http://search.informit.com.au/fullText;dn=005341383774134;res=IELIND
- Bell, Marshall, 2010, Why you paint like that? exhibition essay, Woolloongabba Art gallery, Brisbane.
- Cook, Myles Russell, 2015, What designers can learn from Aboriginal possum skin cloaks, 2015
- Rhodes, S., (2012) The Aboriginal art of making possum-skin cloaks
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2012/04/the-aboriginal-art-of-making-possum-skin-cloaks (includes video)
- Chase, Athol Kennedy, 1980, Which way now? : tradition, continuity and change in a North Queensland Aboriginal community, PhD Thesis, School of Social Science, The University of Queensland, Queensland.
- Oliphant, Ruth, 2012, Stitching spear-grass sinew and skin: crafting new social memories at the Koorie Heritage Trust, Masters Research thesis, School of Social and Political Sciences, Faculty of Arts, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne.
Wikipedia - Possum-skin cloaks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum-skin_cloak
Culture Victoria - Possum Skin Cloaks
Mirommaa - Possum Skin Cloaks
Museum Victoria - The Elders - Possum Skin Cloaks (video)
Culture Victoria - Interview: Wergaia Elder Professor Eleanor Bourke
Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery - A possum skin cloak by the lake
Discover an eclectic range of books, gifts, reproduction prints and more at the Library Shop.