How to use iMovie
Download How to use iMovie (PDF 744.4 KB)
iMovie is a video editing software application sold by Apple Inc. for the Mac and iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini and iPod Touch). The app is sold and downloaded through iTunes App store.
The user can edit photos, video clips, add titles, music and effects, including basic colour correction and video enhancement tools and transitions such as fades and slides.
iMovie makes it easy to browse and share any HD videos you shoot on your iOS device.
Turn your favourite clips into movies or Hollywood-style trailers. Watch your mini-movies anywhere with iMovie Theater.
Hardware & System Requirements
Macs - All Mac and iOS Devices
- iPad Mini
- iPod Touch
Create a movie on your mobile device
1. Open the iMovie app and Tap the Create + button at the bottom of the screen then tap New Project.
How to add an existing video
- Go to the Video browser on the left side of the screen and tap the clip you want to add
- Tap the blue arrow to add the clip to your project.
Similarly, to add an existing photo and music, tap the Photos or Music icons on the left above the project timeline. Find the photo you want to add, then tap to add it.
To record video or take a photo directly into the project, tap the Camera button
How to edit your movie
- To trim clips- Select the clip, and then drag the yellow lines at either end around the part of the clip you need.
- To split clips- Move the playhead (thin red line) to where you’d like to make a split
- Then swipe your finger down along the clip to cut it
If you’ve added photos to the timeline, iMovie will slowly pan over it.
You can set the start and end of that pan by selecting the photo in the timeline and adjusting it in the preview window.
Now that your pictures and video have been perfected you can choose to use transitions between each clip eg. fade in - fade out - dissolve
A symbol will appear between each of the clips.
Double tap it to bring up the transitions menu.
How to export your movie
When you have finished and want to save your movie
1. Tap the My Projects button in the top left of the viewing screen to get to the Home page.
2. Then tap the export icon at the bottom and select Camera Roll.
3. Choose to export your film in HD 1080p
For more information and help, search YouTube for online tutorials eg; http://youtu.be/APQhVuQXiuM ; https://vimeo.com/79590719
Once you have saved the video to your Camera Roll
- You can upload to Dropbox
- Send the link or
- Save onto USB.
For “How to Use Dropbox” guide and instructions or online tutorial see: http://vimeo.com/87374979
Making a language video
Discover an eclectic range of books, gifts, reproduction prints and more at the Library Shop.