Stolen Generations resources
State Library collection:
Find books and other material in the State Library of Queensland collections.
Search the catalogue (One Search) for
- Stolen Generations
- Bringing them home
- Bringing them home is a report in response to a National Inquiry into the separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families.
- Restoring Identity is the final report of the Moving Forward: achieving reparations consultation project, conducted in partnership with ATSIC, the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, the National Sorry Day Committee and Northern Territory Stolen Generations. This document faithfully reflects the ongoing dimensions of the distress and lack of healing that continues to exist for those forcibly removed from their families and communities.
- Forgotten Australians : a report on Australians who experienced institutional or out-of-home care as children. Published as a result of an Australian Senate inquiry into the extent of child abuse within government and non-government institutions and others responsible for children. It specifically aimed to understand the experiences of children who were not covered by the Bringing them home report and Lost Innocents: Righting the record report.
Despite not specifically addressing Indigenous experiences, Forgotten Australians remains relevant because many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders were placed in foster-care or in children's homes as a result of legislation that was not specific to Indigenous Queenslanders. For example, removals from family occurred under the Infant Life Protection Act 1905; Industrial & Reformatory Schools Act 1865 and many of the homes/institutions that cared for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children within Queensland took both Indigenous and non-Indigenous children; and are mentioned in this report (e.g. Goodna Mental Asylum and St Vincent's Orphanage at Nudgee are mentioned).
Forgotten Australians is also available at the State Library of Queensland. See catalogue record.
- Bringing them home Education Module includes education worksheets and resources which were developed in response to extensive requests from teachers for information about the report.
- Kimberly Stolen Generations View photographs, read speeches and hear about the experiences of Kimberly people affected by removal. Listen to or order one of the CDs produced by this group including Stealem' away and Nobody's people: Stolen Generation 2004. The central theme to all the tracks is the experience of being part of the Stolen Generations.
- The laws: Queensland This web page from the Australian Human Rights Commission shows the laws applying specifically to Aboriginal children and general child welfare laws/adoption laws.
Discover an eclectic range of books, gifts, reproduction prints and more at the Library Shop.