2014 Queensland Literary Awards shortlists announcement
State Librarian Janette Wright today announced the shortlists for the 2014 Queensland Literary Awards.
In releasing the shortlists Ms Wright said, “The continued support for the Queensland Literary Awards from authors, publishers, sponsors and the literary community has been exceptional.
We thank and acknowledge the support of our key award partners the Copyright Agency Limited Cultural Fund, The Courier-Mail, the University of Queensland, Griffith University, and the University of Southern Queensland.
It has been inspiring and encouraging to see many of Australia’s distinguished and much loved authors represented alongside debut authors. The judges, across all categories, have had an extremely challenging task short listing from such a rich field of nominations and I thank them for their work."
The high calibre of entries has again highlighted the strength of Australian writing and publishing with a number of smaller independent presses/publishers alongside the major publishing houses.
In addition to the Queensland Literary Awards, three Queensland Writers Fellowships and the inaugural Queensland Premier’s Young Writers Fellowship will provide support for Queensland authors to develop their work for publication.
Arts Minister Ian Walker said the Queensland Government was supporting four fellowships to create opportunities for the next generation of writing heavyweights.
“The awards night will see three $15,000 Queensland Writers Fellowships presented, along with the Queensland Premier’s Young Writers Fellowship worth $10,000 for a Queensland writer under 30 years old,” Mr Walker said.
“These awards mean more Queensland writers can pursue a literary career, develop manuscripts for publication, and tell their stories to a national audience.”
The award winners and recipients of the fellowships will be announced at a special awards ceremony to be held on Monday 8 December 2014.
The shortlists can be found at www.qldliteraryawards.org.au
2014 Queensland Literary Award categories are:
- University of Queensland Fiction Book Award
- University of Queensland Non-fiction Book Award
- Griffith University Young Adult Book Award
- Griffith University Children’s Book Award
- University of Southern Queensland History Book Award
- University of Southern Queensland Australian Short Story Collection – Steele Rudd Award
- State Library of Queensland Poetry Collection – Judith Wright Calanthe Award
- Unpublished Indigenous Writer - David Unaipon Award (supported by the Copyright Agency Cultural Fund and University of Queensland Press)
- Emerging Queensland Writer – Manuscript Award (supported by the University of Queensland Press)
- The Courier-Mail People’s Choice Queensland Book for the Year
Media enquiries: Cinnamon Watson ~ 0432 219 643 ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
Discover an eclectic range of books, gifts, reproduction prints and more at the Library Shop.