Multicultural Engagement Framework 2014-17
Our Multicultural Engagement Framework
State Library of Queensland is 'all yours' — working with and supporting more than 318 public libraries across Queensland to provide free access to information, services and activities — creating welcoming, safe spaces for everyone.
SLQ is a place of diversity and inclusiveness that celebrates each Queenslander's unique story, including the stories of people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds, their accomplishments and the important contribution they make to our community.
Queensland is an increasingly culturally and linguistically diverse society. It is home to people who speak more than 220 languages, identify with more than 100 religious traditions, and come from more than 220 countries.
The 2016 Census reported 21.6% of Queensland's total resident population (1,015,875 people) were born overseas and 12.0% of the state's population (564,196 people) spoke a language other than English at home.
Our Multicultural Engagement Framework 2014-17 (PDF 317.3 KB) (MEF) highlights SLQ's ongoing commitment to collaborate with CALD communities and external partners to provide access to knowledge, learning, creative experiences and employment.
SLQ contributes to the Queensland Government's vision for cultural diversity, which is to provide equal opportunities for all Queenslanders so everyone can participate in our strong economy and enjoy our vibrant society. To achieve this vision, the Queensland Cultural Diversity Policy focuses on improving:
- language independence
- education participation and attainment
- economic independence and participation
- community participation.
This Framework aligns with the following key government policies and SLQ strategic documents:
- The Queensland Plan
- SLQ Strategic Plan 2017–2021
- The Next Horizon: Vision 2017 for Queensland public libraries
- SLQ Content Strategy
- SLQ Strategic Workforce Plan
- Multicultural Australia – United, Strong, Successful
Community and connectedness are at the heart of SLQ. The principles guiding our engagement with community and partners are:
- Inclusive — we respect the diversity of people in our communities — their backgrounds and opinions, needs and priorities, expectations and interests — and embrace this diversity in our planning and delivery.
- Collaborative — we value cooperation and collaboration as critical to building productive and sustainable relationships, and commit to engaging our communities and partners in decision-making and activation of SLQ activities, programs and services.
- Open — we support the sharing or reuse of library data and information to promote community-created content, enable open access, and the convergence of knowledge, experiences and ideas.
- Responsive — we actively seek and encourage all feedback and will incorporate it into our planning, delivery and evaluation processes to ensure our activities are relevant and community focused.
- Sustainable — we acknowledge the importance of initiating and nurturing ongoing relationships with our communities and partners and will enter each program with clear intent about lifecycle, expectations, deliverables and outcomes.
This Framework acknowledges that different communities have different needs. Our community engagement forums held in 2014 identified some of the barriers that people from CALD communities experience in accessing the physical and online services at SLQ.
The priority action areas and measures outlined below will help us improve access to and inclusiveness of our services for CALD communities, and are consistent with our strategic goals.
|Priority action area||Measures|
Collaboration and engagement
Building staff capability
Monitoring and reporting
This Framework will be a living document and our priority actions will be reviewed and updated on an annual basis. Our internal Cultural Diversity Working Group will be responsible for implementing and reporting on these actions, while our Executive Team will be responsible for monitoring our progress to ensure we remain on track to deliver results.
Annual progress reports are published on our website and SLQ provides the Queensland Government with this information to support actions in the Queensland Multicultural Policy and Queensland Multicultural Action Plan 2016-17 to 2018-19
Discover an eclectic range of books, gifts, reproduction prints and more at the Library Shop.